Saturday, March 15, 2008

Traveling "alone"

Just a quick blog about the misnomer of "traveling alone" ... when traveling in this part of the world, it just doesnt exist. For starters, there are hundreds of other travelers around at all times, unless one gets really far out into the wilderness ... and then you have all the locals that always prefer to talk to lone travelers, especially female travelers, than groups of people. And then there is the fact that people here (locals and tourists alike) are all so dang friendly, making it impossible not to meet people and easy to make friends. On my little trip "alone," I have met people from all over the world, from Europe to South America, Australia to Asia. It is fascinating.
In Cambodia I met a great, fun couple from Buenos Aires, Argentina, who I toured with for nearly 3 days, then I met a nice German guy traveling with his father - we shared beer (of course!) and dinner one evening, then I met a group of cool people on another boat, including a German woman also traveling alone (an ex-P&G-er to boot!), two Chileans, a Chilean and German couple. We all found rooms in the same hotel and had a fun evening of dinner and drinks. Then I spent another nice dinner with the Chileans the next night, purely by chance! And after the American group tour, I have had the same experience.

When traveling here it is common to book small trips of 2-3 days to see different sights. These group trips are great for meeting other travelers, as you are thrown into a group of people - could be fun or not - but you are stuck with them for the duration of the trip. I did a 3 day Halong Bay boat trip and was with a group of Irish, Australian (Melbourne), Canadian, Danish, German people. I really hit it off with the older Canadian couple - reminded me of my parents in a cool, used-to-be-hippie and traveled all over Latin America in a VW van sort-of way. We had some great conversations about traveling, Vietnam, history, culture and life in general.
Then on my trip to Sapa, in the north of Vietnam, where the landscape is covered with big green hills cut into rice terraces, dotted with small hilltribe villages and huts. The area is teeming with tourists and tribes-people trying to sell you things, which I found a little frustrating when trying to enjoy the beautiful scenery and quiet. (Vietnam is not a place to "get away from it all" in general, I have decided.) There I was put into a trekking group with a sweet Colombian girl and 2 Aussies - from the "Gold Coast" - natural medicine/yoga hippie-types who liked to have a good time. (So far, I am convinced ALL Australians are big drinkers.) And we happened to share our home stay with another small group consisting of 2 young guys from Boston/east coast who reminded me very much of my step-brother Chris at their age (25). They were fun, really into climbing and outdoors activities, as well as partying and showing off. And the last couple was an older American couple from Seattle - nice, retired, into roughing it traveling.
I ended up spending the next couple days with the four guys, as the Colombian returned to Hanoi and the older couple did their thing. We had a good time ... with lots of beer - hanoi beer!

And, on the plane to Laos I met Amanda, a fellow single woman traveler from Australia, then met a nice couple on my waterfall trip from Australia also, and another from Sweden, and finally people from Hungary on the kayak trip. And at dinner last night a couple fun guys from Australia (Adelaide - quite a different side of Australia), and finally a Scotch-Irish-Mr. Bean-look-alike. probably the funniest character of all, so far!

I hope everyone can experience traveling "alone" at some point in their lives. It has been a highlight of my trip. I don't think I would have met or had interesting conversations with half the people had I been with others. (though of course, friends you are welcome to join the adventure!)

No comments: