Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Coming to an End (June 12, 2008)

I am officially in my last week of travel in Asia. (Just had to extend my visa 1 week in Thailand until my departure date of June 19th.) It’s sad, but I am happy to say that I feel ready to go back to the West. (Not that I am bored of the beach, though I have spent over a month just lazing about trying to decide if I should have a banana or mango shake and if I should swim in the morning or afternoon and which of my 4 bikinis I should wear and if I should have a Thai massage or foot massage ... life is tough on the islands!) But I feel more relaxed and calm than I ever have - or at least than I can remember. I highly highly recommend a long trip far away from work and the life you know. It is so good for the mind, body and soul. I still have no clue where I will live or what I will do, but I no longer feel stressed or worried. Things will work out. They always do. Now I have the evidence to prove it. I started my trip with no plan and not really a clue as to what to do, and it has all worked out better than I could ever have imagined.

Probably the best part of my trip has been the people I have met. (I’m guessing half of my friends on facebook are from this trip!) I have made so many good friends, had so many laughs, shared great food and cheap hotel rooms (that sounds dirty, but it’s really innocent!), had deep, touching conversations, and reconfirmed my belief that most people are really good at heart. I have encountered many angels who have helped me along the way. Just yesterday I found myself standing alone, backpack by my side, with no reservation, and no idea where to go, when a nice woman came by, gathered me and my things, drove me to a pretty place and made sure I was settled in before leaving. And this has happened to me on every part of my trip. Just when I start to feel a little lost and lonely, I meet someone so nice and caring who helps me and shows me unconditional kindness. It is a great lesson. Life is easier when you are nice to others, and can accept others kindness to you. No matter where you are in the world. Some things surpass cultural differences.

So, I am feeling sad to end my trip but grateful for all the amazing experiences I have had and all the wonderful people I have met. And I know it’s not really over ... the adventures will continue!

What’s next, then? My immediate plan is to go to the US, attend my good friend’s wedding, then travel around the US for a couple months visiting friends and family until my brother’s wedding, then head back to Mexico. And then we’ll see ...

No comments: