Tuesday, January 29, 2008

On the way

I am off on my journey, a four month long viaje. I will be traveling in SE Asia, and perhaps a few other places .... wherever the wind takes me!
After a week of bittersweet despedidas in Mexico City, packing up all my belongings and shoving the last few tacos and micheladas down, I am off on my adventure. Flew through Chicago, a cold reminder of how annoying and work-a-holic gringos are and how excited I am to have months of nothing to do but enjoy myself. And also a nice chance to see a very good friend and her completely selfless profession of doctoring the poor and loud. Cheers to you, Erin, you are a saint with a sock-full of good karma!
Then on a 13 hour flight to Tokyo. Well, I think I am actually in the burbs as I never saw any buildings from the airport ... looks a lot like a neatly organized midwest from the window. And I cant stop smiling at the completely orderly, clean, proper, polite, friendly world the Japanese have created. I think Asia will be a nice breath of fresh air from crazy, poluted, loud, frenetic, non-linear Mexico City. (though I am aware that Japan is not exactly like the rest of SE Asia ... we'll see what I say after a trip to Saigon!)
It is so funny to me that I know exactly NO words in any of these foreign languages. And that with a smile and a little bow people can be so nice. I am delighting in everything. Thanks god!

1 comment:

Specs said...

You absolutely must find THE BOSS - coffee in a can found in the numerous vending machines! I also really liked the Studio Ghibli museum (the folks who made Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke). Oh, an if you are in Harajuku you should look for the dancing guys who dress sort of like Elvis. Are you planning on getting out into the countryside?